In the years 1845 to 1854 settlers were coming into Bentinck Township to settle on the 100 acre grant of
land available to them, provided that within four years a suitable dwelling at least 18 x
24 was erected and at least 12 acres cleared.
This early operation may have been a Pit Saw operation or other primitive mill but by 1872 a water power mill was meeting the needs of settlers for barn timbers and lumber. By this time the farmer was well established and building barns which would store his crops from the larger clearings he was making. He needed Lumber, Shingles, Moldings and Timbers for the large houses needed for larger families who stayed on the land to help with the heavy work of farming in those days and so the Saw Mill was busy and prospered.
The builder of that era
required planks for joists and studding, sidings of Pine and Hemlock, Cedar Shingles sawn
for roofing, lumber planed and matched for doors, flooring and window sash. Glass, nails
and other items required for building were obtained from the General Store in Dornoch -- 5
miles away. Mortar from the local Lime Kilns, which were numerous, and iron work from the
early Blacksmith Shop at Dornoch, and later the Scheuermann Smithy and Cooper
Shop a mile from the post office at Welbeck.
Fires and hard times in the lumber industry
caused ups and downs in the fortunes of this sawmill over the years. However, it has
always managed to survive setbacks.
Forty years ago a retail hardware store was started in a lumber shed near the Mill, to meet the needs of people who wished to buy nails when they bought lumber; wood stoves when they bought firewood. From this beginning the retail store has progressed to bring you products from many lands and every continent. Our buyers shop in England, Ireland, Germany, Holland, Japan, Denmark, Sweden, and United States for tools, plywood, lumber, stoves and items impossible to get on the North American market.
staff of very capable young people, many descendants of the old families who settled in
this area, work hard and long hours to make this store a pleasant and interesting place
for you to shop. If you are looking for hard to find hardware items, special woods and
fine woodworking tools - look in this well stocked store.
Names associated with the sawmill before the turn of the century were: A & J Ferguson, Jake Woelfle, Tom Potter and Kinnee & Sparling. Early in the present century, Joe Truax, Ernest Lueck and Edward Cawley operated the mill. In 1920, Gordon Goldsmith and brother Eric took over and operated it until sold to Herb Miller in 1947.
Then in 1979 the Mill and Store passed on to another generation when it was sold to Herbs daughter Bonnie and her husband. Today a third generation is actively involved grandson Steven Kraus main buyer for all the stoves and fine wood working tools and machinery.
In 1974 the lumber shed store would no longer contain the stock needed to serve the ever increasing numbers of people who came to the store for their needs in lumber and building materials. A decision was made to build a new store using traditional building materials. In September 1975 work was commenced by J & H Fleming, Master Builders, on a building 200 ft. long x 84 ft. with a total floor area of 24,600 sq. ft. on two levels. The interior of this building was finished by Victor Hansen, Bill Jackson, Jerry Jackson and Morrow Riddell, traditional craftstmen in the old style.
REBUILDING THE SHINGLE MILL
In 1984 a dream was completed to rebuild the waterpowered Shingle Mill lost by fire in 1966. This post and beam structure was very ably constructed by Scott Murray and his craftsmen of Thistlewood Timberframe Homes.
Today the Shingle Mill turns out Ontario White Cedar shingles and gives enjoyment to hundreds of visitors and school students each year as they come to tour the mill and reminisce of days of yore.
522598 Welbeck Road, RR#2
Ontario N0G 1R0
Tel: 519-369-2144 Fax: 519-369-2787
Copyright Welbeck Sawmill. 1999